Strikers 1945 III (Strikers 1999 in Japan) is a vertically scrolling shoot 'em up released in 1999 by Japanese company Psikyo, publisher of all the Strikers 1945 series and Google Play, APX Software, and Mobirix for the Android version.
Not much of the plot is known, but it takes place a few decades after the events of the first two Strikers games, and this time, Earth is invaded by hostile aliens, rather than a criminal military organization.
A slight change from the previous two titles; the WWII fighter planes have been replaced by modern fighter jets.
Unlocking in Android versionEdit
In the Android version, unlocking ships are easier. The planes that can be unlocked are as follows:
- F/A-18 Super Hornet (Default)
- Stealth Bomber (Share the game on Facebook once)
- F-22 Raptor (Defeat bosses 100 times)
- AV-8 Harrier (Obtain 3000 medals)
- F-4 Phantom II (Collect Daily Bonus 15 times)
- X-36 (Upgrade 12 times)
Or you can opt for a random choice at the cost of 1000 gold coins or watch an ad to unlock a still-locked plane for free with an extra condition that you can only use it once.
The player chooses from one of 6 Modern jet fighter aircraft and shoots through eight stages (the first four levels are randomly chosen, and the last four remain the same for each play). Once the game is beaten, a report showing the statistics of the player are displayed, and the game 'loops' with the difficulty much higher. Each game (on default settings) begins with three lives, and an extra life is earned at 600,000(or 800,000). When all lives are lost, the option to continue is given but the score is reset. In the Android version, the score is carried on; however, the player must pay gold coins or rubies for each subsequent continues.
|1st||1000 gold coins|
|2nd||2000 gold coins|
Another latest feature is the Technical Bonus. During a boss battle, a blue orb is revealed as the weak point. In order to get a 'quick kill', the fighter plane must be extremely close to the orb until it turns red by firing the orb while getting it close to it. Once the fighter plane 'embraces' the orb, the boss is destroyed quickly and adds points for the technical bonus. However revealing the orb from the boss will only take once when it unleashes an attack pattern that is also its weakness. For players, they have to memorize the attack pattern, use a Bomb to dissolve all the bullets, and while in effect, shoot the orb while getting close to it for a quick victory.
Differences in the Android versionEdit
The Android version has the following extra and unique features
- Players can link their scores to their Facebook and/or Google Plus accounts.
- It contains a Multiplayer mode
- Players can invite friends on Facebook to play the game
- In-game currency in the form of gold coins and rubies that can be used for unlocking/upgrading planes, continuing after losing all lives and to purchase additional bombs after the stock has been depleted. It can also be obtained by succesfully completing misssions.
- Rewards for each mission
- Daily gold coin bonus (starting at 00:00 AM UTC).
- All planes move as fast as the swipe inputs.
Each aircraft in 1945 III has three attacks:
Normal shot (Tap the A button or hold the C button. Auto-fire in the Android version): A spray of bullets that can be strengthened by collecting power-ups.
Charge shot (Hold the A button. Touching the explosion button in the Android version): an attack that varies for each aircraft is based upon a charge meter. The meter is composed of four levels ranging from empty to level 3 (in the Android version, level 1 is indicated by a green explosion, level 2 is yellow, and level 3 is red. The more the meter is filled the greater the power of the attack and the longer the attack duration.
Bomb (Press the B button. Touching the Bomb icon in the Android version): An attack that varies for each aircraft; the bomb calls support craft to aid the player. They help block enemy bullets but also give support fire. In the Android version, after all free bombs are used up, extra bombs will be charged worth 100 gold coins, then 200 gold coins, and finally 3 rubies.
Difficulty level (Android version)Edit
In the Android version, players can select the difficulty of the game.
|Difficulty||Score multiplier||Unlock condition||Payment|
|Pro||x4||Clear Mission 5 in Normal difficulty||750 gold coins|
|Master||x6||Clear Mission 5 in Pro difficulty||1500 gold coins|
The "Master" difficulty seems to correspond to the arcade's second loop.
Power-Ups are released by shooting certain enemies in Strikers 1945 III, mainly red colored ones. When a power up is collected, the player's normal shot becomes more powerful and a secondary shot (such as homing missiles) may become available to the player. Up to four power ups can be collected (two in Android version), any after that are worth 4000 points. It is possible to 'power down' at any time by colliding with an enemy craft.
At the beginning of the game, the player has a stock of two bombs. By destroying certain enemy craft, mainly larger ones, a bomb icon will be released and bounce around the screen. When collected, another bomb will be added to the player's stock. A total of nine can be collected, any other icons will reward the player with 10000 points. In the Android version, if the player runs out of free bombs, three additional "charged" bombs can be used
|1st||100 gold coins|
|2nd||200 gold coins|
Medal Chaining works by collecting medals when they are worth 2000 points. Medals are worth 2000 points when they flash white for a split-second. The easiest way to chain is to find targets that release multiple medals when you destroy them (i.e. a medium tank). The medals spin at a consistent rate and complete one rotation even one second. The first medal you pick up to start the chain is worth 2000 points. Chained medals will be worth 2,200 points, and counter with yellow numerals appear under your score, indicating how many medal you have thus chained so far. Chaining requires precise timing while avoiding enemy attacks. Whatever chain you have accumulated will be broken if you collect a medal valued at less than 2000 points or if you die. You will then have to start all over if any of these things happen.
Upgrading Ships (Android version only)Edit
In the Android version, the player can upgrade their ships through purchasing
|Super Shot||Super Shot starts at Level 2||100 rubies|
|Sub weapon||Sub weapon becomes twice as strong||200 rubies|
|Force field||Blocks attacks once||300 rubies|
Stages and BossesEdit
Like it's predecessor, Strikers 1945 II, the first 4 stages are in random order, whereas stages 5-8 are in proper order.
Stage 1 to 4 (random):
-United States of America: Grand Canyon, AZ
Boss: Spectre (Gunship Helicopter/stag beetle)
Enemies: Jets, B-1 Lancer, B-2 Spirit, Y-20.
-Japan: Offshore defensive platform, Nagasaki
Boss: Spike Arm (Hovercraft/water strider)
Enemies: Arleigh Burke-Class Destroyers, PT Boats.
-Russia: Heavy Armory, Kazan
Boss: Ground Skater (Super-Tank/spider)
Enemies: Tanks, Jets.
-Australia: Sydney, Australia
Boss: Thanatos (Military train/mantis)
Enemies:Tanks, AH-64 Apaches, CH-64 Chinooks, Military Trains.
Stage 5: Sea of Clouds
Boss: Green Bender (Heavy bomber/scarab)
Stage 7: Hyperspace Warp Gate
Boss: Shadow Blinder (Dung beetle)
Stage 8: Chaos Headquarters
Boss: Chaos Queen (Pupa/Demon queen bee/molted queen bee/base core)
- The Chaos Queen is the only boss in the game that is purely organic, unlike the others, which are mechanical.
- Coincidentally, this boss does not let the player earn a Technical Bonus.
- All of the bosses in this game are based on insects, save for Ground Skater, which becomes a spider.
- Thanatos is similar to the Armored Train boss in Strikers 1945, being a large heavily armed military train. However, Thanatos has a green color scheme, two train cars, and a different transformation.
- The Shadow Blinder is the only level boss with a single form.
- Since this game are replaced with modern aircraft, all of the playable jet fighters are exclusive.
- In Stage 6, you can choose which of the two bosses you will fight by positioning yourself on your screen before the pods containing them begin to move. If the player is positioned above the middle ejection tube, the Cross Blade boss will appear; if they are on the left or right, the Geo Bite will appear.
- This is the only Strikers video game to feature helicopter enemies, discounting the flying emperor boss in Strikers 1945 II.